Monday, December 7, 2020

Diffusion of Innovations

Upon reading Everett Rodgers Diffusion of Innovation Theory I began pondering the why and how of many of the social networking sites that I use frequently. The side of social media that has always seemed so foreign to me is the world of dating apps. I'm talking Bumble, Tinder, Hinge, Grindr and other like similar. What are they exactly? Why do people join them? How does their popularity grow? How does a user choose one over the other? Do the positive outcomes of using these apps outweigh the negative?

The particular dating app that I would like to focus on is Bumble. Bumble is unique in that it is a dating app that gives women the opportunity to shoot their shot first if they want it. It's also the only service that also has a "dating app" for meeting and making connections with potential new platonic friends. 

The goal of dating apps is to connect singles with other singles who have specific shared interests in an easy and efficient way. My theory is that no one is thinking "Hey I'm really available and looking to be in a supportive relationship so my first move is going to be to download a dating app!" No. If someone over the age of 18 is saying that to themselves them they probably wait around a little bit to see if God, or fate, has something up their sleeve. 

I think people join dating apps because they're bored of waiting for their "perfect" Hallmark movie like meet cute. It's also a way for singles who are busy or are not that social to try and find someone their interested in, but it's always a little tiny bit, at least, out of desperation. 

I think people specifically join Bumble because it has a good reputation. The way it's branded is very light and bright and it's very welcoming. It's for the kids in their 20's who like to have fun. It's usually for the singles with jobs or in school. If you download Bumble you're probably looking for someone that you could bring mom home to. 

If you're looking for something a little less committal,  Tinder or Grindr is the way to go. This is how I think people end up downloading a specific app like Bumble. A lot of the people on Bumble are not the same you'll find on Tinder. Because of branding, a kind of message is communicated by the company, which in turn creates a specific demographic of people who follow the company. These people tell their friends about it who tell their friends about it. And quickly, almost overnight, a reputation is created.

I think they catch on and spread from word of mouth. The only time I've ever downloaded Bumble, I never actually made the account, but it was because I was with all my friends who were on it and hyping it up. I think people who are more spontaneous and fluid with that part of their personal lives are the quickest to download a dating app, especially one like Bumble that has a good reputation. The late adopters are people like me, those who only ever do it because friends have encouraged me or because in the current climate it feels like it's the only option. Those who never download, I believe, are those truly just don't want to say they met their significant other on a dating app. 

The downsides are plentiful. You could meet someone who isn't actually who they say they are, also known as cat fishing. This is lead to unsafe situations. You could become to swiping the same way we swipe on every other social media. This could create expectations for your potential significant other that are unrealistic or perfectionistic.  The positives are there as well. it could lead to great new relationships, romantic or platonic. It can help you figure out what you want in a partner by talking to a few people. 

Like any other social media, dating apps have their ups and downs. There's always going to be something new, something different for single 20 somethings. 

Bumble Review | PCMag

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you know a local microbrewery owner smiles every time you search "coffee near me?"

  It's no surprise that consumers are desperate for local -- the word itself (especially in regard to what we drink) is synonymous with ...